Sunday, May 20, 2007

Twisted Tips: Choosing a Photographer

If there’s one supplier you should have a great relationship with among your wedding suppliers: it’s your PHOTOGRAPHER.

And monster bride’s be warned. Be very warned! You don’t want your gorgeous self to look like a basing sisiw in your wedding photos do you?

I remember a friend of mine hired a photographer that I didn’t recommend. I thought his photos were kinda bland and I had this funny feeling about him. I wanted them to get another photographer whom my amiga used for her wedding. Well, the bride scrimped for the wrong reason and got that photographer. It was a total disaster since a few days before the wedding the bride and the photographer had a shouting match about payments. Geeez! I wasn’t happy myself with the photos he took of me.

On the other hand, my best friend, Tappy, decided to do away with a videographer and just hired a photographer to take black & white photos of her wedding. One of her colleagues, Boggs who is a professional photographer, also took photos of her wedding. Guess who had the better photos?

Establishing great rapport with your wedding photographer is key to having great photos. Why?

Because he will treat you like a friend and will make sure that your photos will look great.

I’ve been spending a lot of time with photography hobbyists and these are the things I learned:

(1) The rapport will help because it would be easy for you to relax in front of the camera. When I started out hanging with these photography hobbyists, I was quite uncomfortable with the fact that their lenses were up my nose all the time. Until I got used to it.

(2) Friends know your nuances. They can actually determine when you’re about to give an impish smile and capture that in your camera.

Check out the photos below by Sasha Manuel and Abe Olandres:

*Please take note that they are photography enthusiasts/hobbyists and they don't do this for a living. I just want to illustrate the fact that photos get better when you have great rapport with the photographer.

Photos by Sasha Manuel

Photos by Abe Olandres

And remember:

Make your photographer your best friend.