Who doesn't want to be called a special name by one's beau? I have not encountered a couple who doesn't have nicknames for each other. Here are some of the terms of endearment I've heard used:
1. Honey - oh such a sweet, syrupy nickname for a loved one. Derivatives of this TOE include, "Hon", "Ney", "Honeypie"
2. Baby - everyone wants to be babied. Calling one's SO "baby" connotes TLC. TOE derivative: "Babe"
3. Sweetheart - ahh the most classic term of endearment. I remember finding a "chattering" heart my Dad once gave to my Mom, the box had "For my sweetheart" lettered in front of it. TOE derivatives: "Sweet", "Swit", "Sweetie Pie", "Sweetie", "Heart", "Tart".
4. Darling - another classic term. One that I can't imagine myself being called (my hair's now standing on end)! But, still commonly used. TOE derivatives: "Dahleng", "Ling".
5. Dear - "Coffee na lang dear," remember that TV commercial?
6. Cutie-Pie - I don't hear this commonly used, but it is still used as a TOE.
7. Boo - I read from the Urban Dictionary that the term is derived from the French word "beau" meaning beautiful. The term has evolved to mean "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" slash "sweetie". Remember all those songs with "boo" in it? Now, I don't mind being called "Boo".
8. Love - I've caught some friends calling their beaus "love". It is not commonly used in public though and normally used in private. TOE derivative: "lovey", "lab", "labidubs", "labidubdubs"
9. Mom/Dad/Mama/Papa - this term is normally used either by married couples or couples that have been together for a long time already. TOE derivative: "Mommy", "Daddy", "Mami", "Dadi".
And the ultimate Pinoy TOE:
10. Mahal/Pangga - the ultimate kilig TOE. I think I'm going to hyperventilate if someone uses this on me. It is my personal opinion that this is THE Ultimate TOE because it is very Pinoy and I believe when someone tells you "Mahal kita" it really comes from the heart. Why? Because you are Filipino! If you are, you'd understand what I'm trying to say.
Check this out for more TOEs. And for those with Fil-Am or non-Filipino speaking SOs, have them read An Apple a Day's post on Pinoy Ako and Some Important Pinoy Terms.
So, head over to the poll at the right side and vote for your TOE!